WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Thursday, July 24, 2014

Life on a farm in Zambia


Today, I would like to show you the farm where I stayed while in Zambia.


Like most farms in the area, this farm is back a long lane and across the "dambo" (an area that fills with water during the rainy season and used as a water supply the rest of the year).





I stayed with this family of Afrikaans farmers.
They attend Independent Baptist Church in Kabwe.

The back of the house
The room where I slept
Every night I slept under a mosquito net.
Even though the net is made of mesh, it gets quite hot and very hard to sleep under one.


The farm has a number of fruit trees & bushes.
They have mangos, papaya, guava, pineapple, pomegranate, grapes, bananas,...


The farmer's wife dries any excess fruit.


She also makes butter & yogurt with the excess milk.

Homemade butter - yum!!!

Marion and I became like sisters.
She was truly as Anne of Green Gables says, "a kindred spirit".

Marion's house
Gate to the farm

The sheepfold


Marion has over 100 sheep.  She raises them for a profit.
Many lambs were born while I stayed there.



I loved being on the farm and would tromp out through the sheepfold and fields.
On the second week, the farmers came home from the store with a pair of muck boots for me!
That was so precious that they thought about me 
and wanted to make me feel a part of the family.



This farm has between 15-20 cows.


Everyday the foreman delivers milk to homes nearby on this bicycle.

I greatly enjoyed living on the farm in Zambia.

I enjoyed the godly fellowship.
I enjoyed the busyness of farm living.
I enjoyed feeling at home & like family.


After surrendering to serve the Lord in Zambia,
one of my prayer requests was about housing.
Between me & the Lord, I asked Him to provide a place for me 
to live on a farm and specifically near this family.
A few weeks ago, I got word that they found a place for me to live.
Guess what!
The Lord gave me the desire of my heart and has allowed me to live on this same farm!!!
I am so excited to get to my home there, to teach children, share the Gospel, 
disciple the saved, and also to be with my Afrikaans family.


"Delight thyself also in the Lord: and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart."  ~ Psalm 37:4



No comments: