WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Visiting a Zulu Farm


The week before Christmas, I had the opportunity to travel with the Kilmers to take our Zulu pastor and his wife home to see his mama.
We traveled out to “countryside” 
(that is what they call the country),

passing many sugar cane fields along the way.


Pastor Bheki grew up here on this farm.


His mam cooks in this traditional Zulu kitchen.


 She makes everything over a fire.


Our season is  Summer now, 
so it can get very hot cooking in this kitchen.





Karen and I helped cut some butternut and carrots
 for our noon meal.



If you have ever cut uncooked butternut, 
you know it is not an easy task.



It was especially hard to cut with such big knives 
that they gave us.



After we finished the preparations for the meal, Karen and I walked down to a river near their home.
You can see how the amount of rain we were having during rainy season washed out their bridge.


That day, the locals were working on clearing the brush to the right so that they could drive through the shallow 
part of the water to the other side.  Many people were going without bread because of the bridge being washed out.
Bread is the main staple in a Zulu person’s diet.


Gogo Nzama (Pastor Bheki's mama & neices)


Pastor Bheki's brother & friend


Before lunch, we got to snap a picture of Zandile (Pastor Bheki’s wife) as she was cooking.



I also had a chance to talk a little 
with Mama Nzama (Bheki’s mom).



You can see from the pictures that Pastor Bheki
 gets his smile from his mama.



We sat inside Mama Nzama’s living room and ate a delicouse Zulu meal – chicken curry, rice, coleslaw, & butternut squash.  I love their food!


While we ate, Pastor Bheki told us more about his family.




After our meal, everyone gathered 
to hear a message from Pastor Don.  



Most of Pastor Bheki’s family are still unsaved. 
Please continue to pray for them 
and for him and Zandile 
as they minister  at our church in Embo.