WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Day Away- trip to Tala Game Reserve

Since university is over for the year, 
I have had some extra time.

Now, if you know me well,
you know that I am always busy with something.
While, this break has given me a chance to catch up on some needed projects,
it has also made me feel a bit like a hermit (only going out for ministry stuff).

Our minsitry has changed alot in the past months.
During this time of year it slows down a bit 
because families are doing holiday things, people are out of town,...etc.
The rainy season also adds to the feeling of being a hermit,
 because you are indoors too much.

Finally, on Saturday, there was a break in the rain.

When I woke up and saw that the sun was shinning,
I decided it was a good day to get out and enjoy God's creation.
(Living alone in South Africa, limits me in what I can and cannot do,
 because of the crime and danger of doing things alone.  
So when I go on an outing I have to plan wisely.)

The Tala Game Reserve is within an hour drive from where I live.
So, I packed up a picnic lunch, my camera,
 binoculars, a map (oh, and some Christmas music), and headed for Tala.
~~~

Would you like to go with me?
Hop in the car and lets go for a drive through the South African bushveld.

Impala (maybe they think if they stand still, I can't see them).
Impala rubbing his horns in a thornbush.
Here comes a Blesbok.
Blesbok crossing the road.
What else do you see?  I see some Impala in the bush.

Egyptian Geese by the water's edge.
An Oribi eating at the greens on a tree branch.
One of my favorites- a Zebra.
Mama Zebra eating with her young.
A small water hole with Weaver birds nests in the trees.
One of the beautiful Weavers.
I sat and watched the birds for a while and then saw something in the water.
When I zoomed in, it looked like a large snake.
Its head was the size of the palm of my hand
!
Let's drive around the corner.
Look!  What is up in that tree?
Its a huge bird!
On closer look, it looks like a Long-Crested Eagle.
This bird is a predator/raptor.  I wonder what he is hunting?
Here come some Kudu, grazing in the meadow.

This Kudu is pretty big.
My dad would say he would be a good one to hunt!


Mama Impala and her young (I think she is the babysitter.)




Lets go see what we find by the water's edge!
Sorry for waking you, Mr.Hippo!
Hmmm....bottoms up!
Oh, there you are - an Egyptian Goose!

Wildebeest taking a walk down the road.
This Impala appears to be lost.
She was calling for help - maaaaa, maaaa, maaaaa.....
Listen!   What else do you hear?
The sound is coming from that tree.
Its a Black-Shouldered Kite!
What a beautiful small predator/raptor it is!

The giraffe is also one of my favorites.
I love to watch him move!
This is the first time I ever saw one laying down.
He just laid there watching me shoot his picture.
This beauty, is as tiny as a finch, but with a long wispy tail.
He is a Pin-Tailed Whydah.
His tail is too long for his body so when he flies,
he swoops up and down through the air.
This was the first I have ever seen them up close!

Baby Giraffe are cute to watch.
Look how cute he is.
His horns are so fuzzy!!!!
Did you ever see a giraffe drink?
They have to split their front legs to get to the water.
Watch out!
Mrs & Mr Ostrich are crossing the road!

I liked this Nyala!
She made me think she was very old and wise
(and dad would say, "she would be pretty tasty too!").


Oh, the life of a lazy Blue Wildebeest!

Thank you for coming for a drive with me!
I hope you enjoyed our day away.
If you are ever in the neighborhood again, please stop by!
~~~
It was nice to get out of the house.
We don't realize how good it is for us to do relaxing things sometimes.
When your mind is always caring for other people's needs, 
it is important to get out and have some special time with the Lord.
I enjoyed having my quiet time today
 out in the sunshine in the beauty of God's creation!

As Christmas or busy times of your life draw near,
be sure you are making time to draw near to Him!