WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Lesson in Obedience


Last week as I prepared to leave the house for the weekend, I did my normal routine.
Put the laundry away, did the dishes, and tried to tidy up a bit.
In my hurry to leave by a certain time, I opened a cupboard 
and one of my favorite glass bowls fell out and broke. 
 I probably paid a dollar for the bowl at a yard sale, 
but it was the perfect size for my mixing needs.

Mom & I on Christmas day
Of course, I was on the phone with my mom while I was scurrying to leave and she told me, "Gina, you had better clean that up before you step in it and get glass in your foot".  My reply was, "Sure mom, I need to go now".  
So I picked up the big stuff and swept the tiny pieces along the edge of the cupboard to be cleaned up when I returned on Monday
(don't you just love procrastination?).

Mom was right!
On Monday, I was making my coffee and stepped right in the glass.
Nothing got in my foot (my feet have very tough skin on the bottom
 because I am always barefoot).
Oh, that reminded me to clean it up.


Do you think I cleaned it up?
NO!
I got sidetracked by another project and walked away.


Later that day, I was walking down the hall and something very sharp hit my foot.
It was a piece of glass.
I lifted my foot and examined the calloused bottom.
I pulled the fragment out.
Only a scratch, but it still hurt.
Oh, well.  Momma always says, "You'll live till you get married!"
Not married yet so I have a few more years to live :)


I sat down after walking back down the hall and later glanced down at my foot.
Blood was trickling down the side and dripping on the other foot.


I knew I should have listened to my mother!


Col 3:20 "Children, obey your parents in all things: 
for this is well pleasing unto the Lord."

Isn't that how we are with God sometimes?
"Yes, God, I hear you", we say.  
Only then, we walk away and forget what we should have obeyed Him in.
Sometimes, I know I am so preoccupied with what needs to be done, 
that I fail to obey Him in the simplest things.
Then I step where I shouldn't and pay the concequences for that disobedience.

There is still a small piece of glass in my foot that I can't see and can't get out.
Every time I step, it reminds me of my disobedience.
I know eventually it will work its way out.

Just think, I could have avoided the misery if I had only obeyed.
(But then, I would not have learned such a valuable lesson.)

God knows my sinful nature and He even uses it for His glory.
What a God we serve!


Bible Lessons on Obedience~

  •  For those under authority:  Col 3:22 "Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:    Heb 13:17 "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."                                                                             
  • For everyone: Acts 5:29 "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men."  Deut 13:4 "Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him."  1Sam 15:22 "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? 
    Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."
  • For wives: 1Peter 3:1 "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;"
  • If the wind & sea can obey Him, why can't I?  He sent His Son to die for me! Luke 8:25 "And He said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for He commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him."