WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Sunday, January 22, 2012

Some Devotional Thoughts from Mark 15


My morning necessities- my Bible & my coffee!
Notice the snow scene reflected in my coffee.
This morning, while reading my devotions a few thoughts came to mind that I thought you may like.  I have been reading through the book of Mark and today have arrived at the best part – Christ’s crucifiction.  Leading up to this I have been reading about Christ’s earthly ministry as He clearly shows He is the Son of God.  Now He is taken by the Roman soldiers and brought before Pilate.  Pilate is appalled, by His reply of nothing (15:2).  Finally Christ says, “why should I reply, you are already saying who I am”.  Isn’t it funny that the heathen know who God is.  Some people look to themselves as gods to make their own life choices, yet, they accuse His people of being God’s people (“Oh, you are one of ‘them”!”).

Next, I saw how God even used the sinfulness of a man named Barabas to bring glory to Himself.  God sometimes uses our sin to point others to the Savior.  Christ dying on the cross spoke heavily to His people when one of the worst sinners was set free.  Christ died in this awful man’s place and He has died for me!  I wonder what Barabas thought of all of this.  


How beautiful! The snow on Saturday & Sunday.

What led the people to let this man go?  The awful sin of envy (15:10) by the high priests.  Even what I consider little sins can culminate in something as big.  Wow, be careful Christians when we give one thing over to satan!

As I read further, I saw how the soldiers mocked Christ, dressed Him up as King, and then they cast lots for his garments (15:24).  The unsaved mock Christ and laugh at His name, but they still want a part of Him, only when it is of some profit to them.  If it was modern times, they probably would have gambled for His clothes and then sold them on EBay to the highest bidder.  Sadly, the world we live in and the world Christ lived in has not changed.


The Cottage- where I used to live.
The best part of my reading today was in verse 34.  Christ’s words – “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?”  This last week, I have been reading about Christ’s time in the garden praying and His teaching to the disciples about His coming death, but now here He is.  The moment He has prepared His disciples for and He asks His Father why He is forsaken.  He knew what would happen because He has told it so many times.  He told the people that God cannot look on sin and yet He wonders why God has forsaken Him.  
This is the most triumphant moment of all – He is humanity!  This is so sweet and precious to me.  The God-Man has truly shown His love and the affect it has on Him to be separated by sin from His beloved Father.  This is what made the centurion standing by finally believe (15:39).  The Bible says that when He cried out, “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me”, that is when the centurion believed.  
How powerful this message is to us!

View across the field to my neighbor's farm.
The last thing that I gathered today, in this chapter, was God’s perfect timing.  Joseph of Aramathea came to claim Christ’s body on the day of preparation for the Sabbath (15:42).  The Lamb of God had been slain and now it was time to take His body to prepare for burial.  Pilate was astonished that Christ was actually dead.  He was also amazed that Joseph came so quickly for the body of our Lord.  God’s people were used to show Pilate their faith and dedication to our God.  The saints reacted to the death, burial, and resurrection in a faithful manner.  They trusted Christ in life and in death.  Oh, to be seen as one of those saints. 

I am sure there is much more to glean, 
but these are just some of what specifically stuck out to me today.


My house in the ice & snow on Sunday.