WELCOME !

Welcome friends, old and new, known and unknown! It has been my desire to share with you how the Lord is working in my life as I serve the Lord on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. There is an old black and white movie called The African Queen. It is about a boat that travels down river. This blog is not about a boat. It is however, about my travels on the mission field of Kabwe, Zambia. By the way, did you know that my name means queen. For many years I have been burdened for souls in Africa. That is why some of my friends call me African Queen.



Friday, October 21, 2011

My Goodly Heritage

Psalm 16:6 "The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."
Psalm 61:5 "For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name."

Roy G. Frey

My grandfather has been on my mind lately. Maybe it is because of paperwork our family has to do for the state, or the games he taught methat I am now teaching others, or the lane leading to the cabin, and the chimes ringing outside my house. All of these things have put my grandpa on my mind lately. He passed away in 2005, but the heritage he left behind still affects me today.


My grandpa grew up in a Christian home.

While he was growing up his parents (especially his dad), taught him to work hard and have good godly character.

Like every Frey, he learned to farm.

A hard day's work, was not just a figure of speech, but truth lived out.

He loved to fish.

Especially, if they were biting.

He also loved to have fun. (This is a picture of him horsing around with my grandma - looks like they were having a water fight :)

He also loved my grandma.

Looking back, I don't think as a child I fully appreciated all that my grandpa taught me. I know I loved to spend time with him. He taught me Krokono (some people call it Carrom). I have taught many of the teens that I work with in ministry how to play this game. Last weekend I also taught my brother how to play.

My dad, respected his father. He knows how to do almost anything from plumbing to masonry. Most of those things he learned from his father and then taught to me. My dad loves fishing and hunting. He did that with my grandpa, has taught me and my sister, and is now teaching my brother.

Today, as I am writting, the wind is blowing and I am again reminded of my grandpa by the sound of the chimes ringing outside my house.
He made these chimes many years ago. They make a beautiful sound when the wind moves them ever so slightly. Though they are rusted and need a little extra care, they serve as a daily reminder of the "goodly heritage" that God has given me. Afterall, not everyone can claim the kind of heritage that I have.
Psalm 16:6 "The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."
Psalm 61:5 "For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name."

No comments: